Friday 5 February 2010

Never before...

Has a tag line been more appropriate "an inconsistent look" Yeah that's about right, it's been almost 3 weeks since my last entry!

Anyway something that quickly crossed my mind wondering around facebook, as is the style nowadays I believe, on top of the plethora of groups that make little or no sense, or are for mundane things like "I woke up this morning and didn't want to get out of bed".

A lot of the population of facebook are students, this isn't anything special, this is in our nature as layabout lollygaggers.

But it was the use of the term "Lol'd".
Now I use this all the time, in a joke context of course, I merely mock the lower classes, but I only just really took apart that phrase. Think about it.

LOL/Lol/lol stands for Laugh Out Loud (Not Lots Of Love MUM)

And so the have the elided past tense suffix "'d" here, obviously to put it into past tense, as seen in "Lol'd".

But here's were the youth and acronyms get confusing.

When we say "Lol'd": the elided past tense suffix is attached to the last L, which means that is the word it is modifying is "Loud" which means that when we say "I Lol'd" we are saying "I laugh out louded", which as you can see, makes no sense.

On the other hand we cant say "I L'edol" because who could pronounce that?

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment